I've recently gotten married. Yay! Now that we're married there is a bit of paper work to do to update names and such.
Below is an After the Honeymoon checklist from CountryWeddings.com that I found which will help aid in the process
Name Change & Other Tasks
Change bank account names
|Send out Change of Address Cards|
Change wills and insurance policies
Change beneficiary information on retirement plans and investments
|Verify life insurance amounts and change beneficiary|
|Change health and dental insurance plan information|
|Change car insurance and registration information|
Request new Social Security card
Change driver's license name
Add name to utility bills
Change passport name
Re-register to vote
Change property title / mortgage name
|Change tax records with your employer and accountant|
|Change credit card information|
|Change club membership information|
Major items that I'll want to take care of in general priority order:
- Add spouse to health insurance at work - This is the #1 priority since we want to get her on my coverage as soon as possible.
- Shop around for car insurance policy - We'll combine our policy so that means canceling one or the other. Would also be a good time to shop around for good rates.
- Set up a joint bank account - We will have joint finances. So we'll get a joint account. It may also be a good time to switch banks for me.
- Get a Will - I know I should have one already but I don't. As a single person I wasn't that concerned. But now it is more important.
- Investigate additional life insurance - I get 2x my salary coverage from my employer. We'll probably want to add some to that.